31 Jan 2009

Forum language use

Forum Decorum: Posting styles and language use

It seems as if the younger generation have incorporated these words as every-day words into their vocabulary and don't see them as words that should be censored.

Words like fuck, cunt, shit are simply adjectives and add flavour to their language.

I personally don't care whether people cuss or not, the way people use language, evolves constantly and it does not define who they are, it is simply creative expression and it leaves room for language freestyling which enriches our urban culture.

I've noticed that the older folks have their own way of being creative/expletive in their language use.

Setting a forum scene:

It's another ordinary day on the forum, members are coming and going and posting as the morning progresses into afternoon.

A popular thread has everyone on a roll, except for one member who keeps posting negative and predatory remarks, spoiling the discussion for everyone else.

This member is a regular, who contributes to many posts, but has been moaning a lot more in recent weeks, as they spiral into a pit of negativity.

Individual responses you could expect: This illustrates the different responses and language use you often encounter, note how effective the expletives are.

Please stop moaning all the time, it's creating a negative vibe and we've had enough of it now, thank you.

Listen here birdbrain, go back to kindergarden if you wanna moan like a baby - go suck a dummy asswipe !

Stop moaning, you make me sick !

Your moaning is boring, you're boring, get a life weasle.

Listen here brainless retard, your constant whinging is pathetic - now shut-the-fuck-up !

If you moan once more, you will regret it.

I've had enough of your constant nagging, if you have nothing positive to say, keep quiet.

Why are you always moaning, it's irritating and boring, everyone has problems, what makes you special ?

Listen here fuckface, your fucking whining is pissing me off- now fuck-off and complain to the magistrate !

Your negative outlook and predatory comments are indicitive of someone drunk on their own shit.

Your bitterness is becoming unbearable, go see a psychologist.

(written after taking part in language use poll on NAG forum)

No comments:

Terran citizen : science fiction reader since 1972

My photo
Cape Town, Stellenbosch, MyBB Forum, ZA, South Africa
Science fiction reader. I read to relax and because I am curious. I like data. I buy books in book stores and I download to my kindle, as well as read on my pc screen, I also write for fun. You won't believe the things authors have me imagining !

Sentinals